Dedicated to Macomb County
In partnership with the communities we serve, the mission of the Macomb County Health Department is to protect the health and well-being of all who live, work, and play in Macomb County. We provide a wide range of programs and services related to environmental health, family health, disease control and community health.
The Macomb County Health Department was created by action of the Board of Supervisors in 1947, and has been committed to carrying out its mission ever since.
Healthy people in healthy communities.
In partnership with the communities we serve, our mission is to protect and promote the health and well-being of all those who live, work and play in Macomb County.
Integrity, quality of life, dedication, prevention, quality service for all, respect and dignity, confidentiality, collaboration, responsibility, innovation, creativity and open communications.
What we do
The Health Department accomplishes its mission by providing a wide range of programs and services through four major divisions:
- Restaurant inspections, community health and safety, shelter, waste and water quality management.
- Immunizations, family planning, and other family and maternal/child health programs.
- Health education, nutrition, community-based chronic disease prevention, hearing and vision screening, Children's Special Health Care Services and WIC.
- Disease surveillance and control programs; sexually transmitted disease counseling, testing, diagnosis and treatment; tuberculosis control; school immunization education and waiver services; and foreign travel and health information.
- Investigates deaths due to violence, accidents and those not attended by a physician. Also determines whether or not autopsies should be conducted.
Macomb County Health Department undergoes an accreditation review every three years and is fully accredited by the Michigan Public Health Accreditation Commission. In addition, in 2021, the Macomb County Health Department received accreditation from the Public Health Accreditation Board for a period of five years.