Meals on Wheels volunteers
Many people know Meals on Wheels as a food delivery service for the homebound. However, what they don't know is how impactful the moments of contact between the volunteer and the recipient can be. For many seniors, the volunteer who drops off their meal is the only person they will see that day. The delivery isn't just about nourishment, it's about a valuable moment of human connection. And in turn, it's those moments of human connection that make volunteering so rewarding.
Who is a Meals on Wheels volunteer?
You! Someone wanting to give back to the community.
- Available for 60-90 minutes at least one day a week, Monday - Friday at lunchtime
- Age 18 or older
- Children are welcome to ride along and assist an adult
- Have their own vehicle
- Have a valid driver's license and carry automobile insurance
- Clear background check
Mileage reimbursement is available.
What does it take to be a Meals on Wheels volunteer?
- Complete new volunteer orientation
- Commit to a personalized schedule:
- Deliver meals two times per month
- Deliver meals weekly
- Be available to fill in as needed
- Pick a route(s) located close to your home or work; there 24 pick up locations around Macomb County - there is one near you!
- Deliver to your neighbors, within your community
How to sign up?
Complete online application
Complete our online application. One of our team members will reach out to you with next steps.
Watch a brief online video to learn more about the volunteer experience.
Submit needed documents
- A copy of your drivers license
- Automobile insurance
- Photo for your volunteer badge
Attend an in-person training prior to your first delivery. You'll learn about:
- What to expect when you arrive at your assigned pick up location
- How to read the "route sheets" - names and address of who you'll be delivering to
- How to use our provided tablets - for our electronic route sheets and GPS directions. It's easy to use - we promise!
- The delivery process and food safety
- What to do in an emergency
Manage your schedule online
Current Meals on Wheels volunteers can access their schedule and sign up for assignments by using our volunteer portal.