Who couldn’t use a friend and a friendly voice saying, “Hello?” Program volunteers reach out over the phone to connect with Macomb County seniors interested in a friendly social conversation. It’s a no-pressure, informal, social call. Calls range from 10 minutes to 30 minutes depending on interest and natural flow of conversation on any particular day. Think of it as an old-fashioned front porch visit…over the phone.
Who is a friendly caller volunteer?
You! Someone who is compassionate, has good listening skills and enjoys talking on the phone.
- Available two half days per month, shifts are available Tuesdays and Thursdays
- Age 18 or older
- Able to travel to our administrative office: 21885 Dunham Rd, Suite 6, Clinton Township, MI 48036. Enter through door C.
- Clear a background check
What it takes to be a friendly caller volunteer?
- Complete new volunteer orientation
- Commit to a personalized schedule:
- Sign up for a minimum of two shifts per month
- Have good conversation skills and comfortable speaking with new people
How to Sign up?
Complete online application
Complete our online application. One of our team members will reach out to you with next steps.
Attend an in-person training prior to your first shift. You'll learn about:
- What to expect when you arrive for your designated shift
- How to read the "call list" - names and phone numbers of who you'll be calling
- Suggested conversation topics
- What to do if participant needs other assistance
- What to do in an emergency