Macomb County Veterans Services is an IRS VITA (volunteer income tax assistance) partner, a 50-year-old federal tax preparation assistance program that provides support to low-income, persons with disabilities and limited English-speaking taxpayers. This program provides tax support to all Macomb County Veterans.
Individuals wishing to volunteer through this initiative are asked to have the following abilities/qualities:
- Basic computer skills and familiar with adobe acrobat
- Basic knowledge of filing personal income taxes
- Friendly and personable
- No felony arrest or convictions
- Current driver’s license or state identification card
- Can commit to one 4-6 hour shift per week
The 12-week program will run from January 27 to April 18, 2024, operating out of nine locations across the County, with the main hub at the Macomb County Family Resource Center (196 North Rose Street in Mount Clemens). Day shifts, six days a week are available.
Individuals who sign up to volunteer must attend two training sessions at the center on December 2, 2023 from 8:30 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. and January 20, 2024 from 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. The following training will be provided:
- Basic federal tax law training
- Advanced federal tax law training
- State law training
- Standards of conduct and ethics
Please call the program director at 586-469-6507 if you are interested in volunteering.