Volunteers needed to prepare taxes for veterans and low-income
individuals in Macomb County
Local program prepared more than 2200 returns in 2021
Macomb County Veterans Services is seeking volunteers to help veterans and low-income individuals prepare their taxes this tax season. In 2021, this support helped the County prepare more than 2200 local returns.
“Tax preparation season is just around the corner and we need volunteer assistance to ensure our free programming continues,” said Laura Rios, director, Macomb County Veterans Services. “Our support can make a real difference for members of the community who served their country, or for individuals who do not have the means to pay for tax service, so volunteering in this way can be extremely rewarding. It’s a short commitment, but one that has a long-term impact.”
Macomb County Veterans Services is an IRS VITA partner, a more than 50-year-old federal tax preparation assistance program that provides support to:
- People who generally make $60,000 or less
- Persons with disabilities; and
- Limited English-speaking taxpayers
The County also provides this support to all veterans. Individuals wishing to volunteer through this initiative are asked to have the following abilities/qualities:
- Basic computer skills and familiar with Adobe Acrobat
- Basic knowledge of filing personal income taxes
- Friendly and personable
- No felony arrest or convictions
- Current driver’s license or state identification card
- Can commit to one 4-6 hour shift per week
The 12-week tax preparation program will run from January 25, 2023 to April 15, 2023, operating out of 9 locations across the County, with the main hub at the Macomb County Family Resource Center (196 North Rose Street in Mount Clemens). Day shifts are available.
Individuals who sign up to volunteer must attend two training sessions at the center on December 3, 2022 from 8:30 to 1:30 and January 21, 2023 from 8:30-11:00. The following training will be provided:
- Basic federal tax law training
- Advanced federal tax law training
- State law training
- Standards of conduct and ethics
Interested volunteers can call the Vita Tax Coordinator, Laura Rios.