Contact: Eric Dimoff
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 1, 2021
Macomb County Department of Roads Ready for Ice and Snow
MCDR Expands and Prepares Truck Fleet Ahead of Winter Weather
MOUNT CLEMENS, Mich. – The Macomb County Department of Roads (MCDR) is gearing up for ice and snow with the addition of new winter maintenance equipment and getting trucks and plows prepared for winter.
“Michigan’s unpredictable weather impacts our roads, residents and community. Road safety and winter readiness are top priorities for Macomb County,” said MCDR Director Bryan Santo. “We work relentlessly to ensure our winter operations maintain a safe and drivable road system for all Macomb County motorists and visitors.”
In advance of winter operations, the Department of Roads purchased several tandem axle, single axle, and semi-trucks for Macomb County’s service centers in Washington Township, New Haven, Clinton Township, and Shelby Township. MCDR has a winter maintenance fleet of more than 100 snowplows, salt trucks and graders. The department has an annual average budget of $4 million to keep the fleet on the road and up to date with technology and equipment.
With the support of the motoring public, MCDR’s goal is to keep the roads as safe as possible. The Department of Roads cautions drivers to remain alert during and immediately following winter weather and reminds motorists to drive appropriately for conditions and to give snowplows plenty of room to safely clear the roads.
MCDR also urges drivers to follow these safety tips on the roadways:
- Remove all snow and ice from your vehicle, including the hood, roof, truck, headlights, taillights, windows, and mirrors.
- Buckle up.
- Start your drive early allowing extra time for slow driving conditions.
- Keep a safe distance between you and the vehicle in front of you.
- Drive defensively and brake early. Stopping on icy roads requires three to nine times the distance to come to a complete stop.
MCDR is dedicated to providing the public with a quality county road system, with a focus on safety and convenience for motorists and the community, environmental responsibility, and financial accountability. For the latest news from the Department of Roads, follow MCDR on Facebook and sign up to receive email and text alerts for construction and traffic updates at roads.macombgov.org.
- Of the more than 4,400 miles of roadway in Macomb County, MCDR is responsible for the maintenance of 1,773 miles of county roads and more than 1,100 miles of subdivision roads
- MCDR has more than 100 snowplows, salt trucks and graders in its fleet
- MCDR has more than 125 maintenance employees dedicated to keeping the roads clear
- On average, MCDR uses more than 50,000 tons of salt each winter
- In 2020, MCDR spent more than $6 million on winter maintenance for primary, local and state roads
Videos and photos of MCDR winter equipment can be found here. Photo credit: Macomb County Department of Roads.
117 South Groesbeck Hwy., Mount Clemens, MI, 48043
General Media Inquires - please contact John Cwikla at 586-463-3523