Onsite Sewage (Septic) Systems
A significant portion of Macomb County relies on septic systems for sewage disposal. Proper design, installation, and maintenance is critical for the prevention of water pollution and communicable diseases caused by human waste.
To address these issues the Macomb County Health Department conducts the following services:
- Evaluation of proposed building sites
- Conduct soil evaluations ("perc" tests)
- Issue septic system permits
- Conduct inspections of septic systems
- Investigate complaints of failing systems or improper sewage disposal
These services are provided for both single family dwellings and commercial or industrial buildings that generate less than 10,000 gallons of sewage per day. Sites that generate between 10,000 and 20,000 gallons of sewage per day are required to obtain permits from both the local health department and the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality.
If you have any questions, call us at 586-469-5236, Monday-Friday, 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. or E-mail us now.