How to register (or renew) a business under an assumed name
Businesses, except corporations and some partnerships, are registered under an assumed name. You must be at least 18 years of age to file a business registration. Business registrations are valid for five years.
Fill out online application
After submitting your application, you can make an appointment to come in and have your application notarized in front of one of our clerks.
- MAKE AN APPOINTMENT to visit the Macomb County Clerk's Office Vital Records Department at 120 N Main in Mount Clemens.
Include the required form (below), have it notarized and enclose a check or money order and mail to Macomb County Clerk, Attn: Businesses, 120 North Main, Mount Clemens, MI 48043.
- Sole proprietor or co-partnership form.
- All owners must have their signatures notarized. If the form is signed in the Clerk's Office, our staff will notarize all of the signatures.
- Include appropriate filing fee.
- $10 -- filing fee.
- Method of payments accepted: cash, check, VISA, Mastercard and Discover.
- Please make checks payable to: "Macomb County Clerk."
To obtain forms for registering as a corporation (Articles of Incorporation), limited partnerships or limited liability company (LLC), and information about trademarks and service marks, please contact the Michigan Department of Labor and Economic Growth, Corporations Division online at www.michigan.gov/lara/ or by calling 517-241-6470.
The Macomb County Small Business & Technology Development Center (SBDC) promotes economic development by providing assistance to new and existing business owners. Their free services include seminars and confidential one-on-one consulting with trained business counselors to help your business grow. These business counselors can help you with developing business plans, financing, marketing, or any other issues your business may be facing. Visit their website at https://sbdcmichigan.org/
The cost is $2 for the first copy, and $2 for each additional copy of the same record after that.